About counselling and EMDR
Counselling offers a safe, regular and non-judgmental space to explore whatever is troubling you at your own pace. We would aim to work in a collaborative way to try and understand what is causing your problems, leading to the possibility of making changes.
EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) is a well-evidenced and effective trauma therapy that helps people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of past traumas and other disturbing life experiences. The traumas are gradually worked though, within a detailed protocol, until relief of symptoms is obtained.
Just Click here to read more about EMDR
How I work
I work from an integrative perspective, combining different theories and ways of working, within a warm, caring and accepting approach.
- I try to understand your problems using a psychodynamic approach, where we may look together at how past relationships and patterns are influencing current situations and relationship difficulties.
- We may also, if needed, use cognitive behavioural (CBT) strategies and techniques to help you gain relief from troubling current symptoms such as anxiety, low mood anger or sense of worthlessness.
- I am also trained as an EMDR (trauma) therapist and may suggest using EMDR therapy to address recent or past traumas, where these are causing or influencing difficulties in the present.
What conditions can counselling help?
Most people I see come with one or more of the following:
- Relationship issues
- Work issues
- Panic Attacks
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Bereavement or other losses
- Depression and suicidal feelings
- Trauma or abuse
- Sense of stuckness in life or feeling lost or confused in any area
- Gender or identity issues
- Eating issues